Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I could cook dinner for you

But I'd rather make you breakfast. Wink.

Breakfast is my favorite meal to cook or go out for. Breakfast food is naturally comforting, and long, leisurely Sunday morning breakfasts are one of my fondest family-food-memories.

rice porridge with fruit

I actually had this for lunch--almost dinner--but who cares? Porridge was always a weird idea to me until Mom Chau started making congee for us in Walla Walla. Unlike the unappetizing images that Goldilocks and the Three Bears conjures, porridge is leftover grains simmered with excess water (or other liquids) until it reaches a thick consistency and the already-cooked grains have absorbed a lot of the liquid. Think more like oatmeal than gruel. Congee is usually a savory rice porridge, but here I make a sweet version using coconut milk and various fruits. Inspired by a recipe in the cookbook The Vegan Gourmet by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay.


Sweet Rice Porridge

Makes about 2 servings

2 1/2c leftover cooked rice (I used long grain, short grain will also be ok)
1 c soymilk
1 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
dash of salt

Bring this to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally to disperse liquid and scrape rice off of the sides and bottoms of pan to prevent browning. Continue to simmer until most all of the liquid has been absorbed, then remove from the heat.

Stir in:
Two dollops of ginger syrup (or substitute)
Two dashes of cinnamon
2 Tbsp brown sugar
(or whatever sweetners you like, to taste)

Divide into two bowls and top each other with a quarter pomegranate's worth of seeds, about a thawed half cup of those blueberries you picked out in Redland last summer, one half of a chopped ripe pear, and a handful of toasted walnuts. Yum!

flashy rice porridge with fruit

I used a pomegranate that has been sitting around for a couple weeks. This skin was no longer smooth and shiny, but rather rough. The fruit, however, was exceedingly delicious, far moreso than that of other pomegranates I've eaten this season. Less tart and more sweet and full. Woo sugars!

PS--Prior to eating, I divided a package of snapper to wrap for freezing, and didn't quite get all the smell off of my hands. As I was eating the porridge, I was amazed at how similar the taste of slightly burned toasted walnuts was to raw snapper, which is a rather pungent scent. Just now, the smell has faded to something more like jasmine green tea. Score one for esters!