Monday, February 18, 2008

Easy as 1 2 3

Many months ago, a possibly drunk, possibly stoned fellow told me this recipe for quiche. I served it at my breakfast party in December, and it was awesome! I think "breakfast party" might be the best party I've ever had, since, as I've said before, breakfast is THE best meal for which to cook or go out.

3-2-1 Quiche
serves 3-4
3 large eggs (the bigger, the better)
2c shredded cheese (I use 2 handfuls, 2c is too much for me!)
1c sour cream
black pepper
other spices to taste
your favorite quiche veggies and/or meats

Whip the eggs with the sour cream until well blended, then mix in cheese, spices, and add-ins. (My favorite seasoning is "Italian Grinder." Cheating, yes, but it has rosemary, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, rosemary, basil, oregano, etc. Very tasty in everything, but only worth buying if on sale.) Crust is optional; make or buy your favorite kind. If no crust, grease a 8" pie dish. Pour quiche mix into pan and place in an oven preheated to 425°F. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower to 300°F and check every 15 minutes or so until a bamboo skewer comes out clean. Let cool for ~15 minutes before cutting and serving. This firms up faster than a traditional (= when I make it with soy milk) quiche due to less liquid.

It's important to note that this fellow did not give me any specifications for cooking the quiche; I'm following the baking directions for "Quiche Lorraine" from Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook. I have a 3-2-1 quiche made with broccoli baking right now (thanks to an uncharacteristic lack of vegetable variety) and the smell coming from the oven makes my stomach want to digest itself. Unfortunately, I decided to skip the crust; too bad, since quiche crust is one of my favorite things to eat.

No comments: